Thursday, January 3, 2008

Hunt Geese if That's Your Thing, but don't Kid Yourself

Just a little aside because I read a lot of user comments on articles about goose control strategy that advocate goose hunts. I also read articles about towns starting new goose hunting seasons in order to lower populations. I mean, if you enjoy hunting, just be honest about why you do it. It has nothing to do with lowering goose populations. Frankly, hunters are lucky if they take home one goose. Everyone knows that when you shoot toward a flock, the birds will scatter from the noise. This makes it pretty difficult to make a real difference on the population.

Think of this situation as a fire drill for geese. They're not leaving for good. They know there's a potential danger so they are sitting it out momentarily, waiting to return when it is safe. I wrote a little blurb earlier about why lethal methods don't work and all of that reasoning applies here. I just thought I'd add something about goose hunting in general because it is a common topic in the papers these days.

1 comment:

McWort said...

Please send me your email address. Jim McKenney